Graduation caps


Financial aid can be a gift that you keep or a loan that you must repay. It can come from the government, from your college, or from some other source. It can be paid directly to the student, to the student's school, or to the student's parents.

The process of putting financial aid together is called packaging. The college financial aid office prepares each student's aid package. This package can be made up of many types of aid. Each student can accept or reject all or part of their financial aid package.


  • SCHOLARSHIPS — Non-repayable gift, often based upon some measure of academic performance and financial need. Some scholarships are based on academic performance only and are made available by the individual college.
  • GRANTS — Non-repayable gift aid, usually allocated upon need alone.
  • EDUCATIONAL/ LOANS — Funds requiring repayment, usually after the student leaves college.
  • WORK STUDY — Wages earned for part-time work on or off-campus during the school year.

Applying for FAFSA and Scholarships in 3 easy steps.

  1. Go to the Federal Student Aid website to create an FSA ID. 
    An FSA ID is required to complete the FAFSA.
  2. Go to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to complete the FAFSA. 
    FAFSA is required for a majority of the various types of financial aid including scholarships, grants, work-study.
  3. Complete scholarship applications. Western High School maintains a list of scholarship opportunities students may qualify for.  Click here for the list of scholarship opportunities.


Scholarship resources:

College and career readiness agencies:

Back to top